Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Adventure packed in a two-week window

Hi guys!!

I just wanted to write something short today, because I have been busy making plans to move to a new house, and also planning my trip back to Curacao. It has been hectic and stressful, and I am nowhere near done! Don't you just wish things could be super easy, where you would just click a button, and everything was done? This week I have to pack up all my stuff, take my bed apart, and try not to freak out at the idea of me driving on dutch roads. I am so scared to drive here in Holland, even though I've had my license since 2007. There are so many rules and regulations, and I have to watch out for pedestrians and bikers, and children on bicycles and elders on bicycles. Oh god! I am so close to freaking myself out again! Haha! But I keep reminding myself that everything is going to be fine. It is going to be a challenge, but I know that this won't be as terrifying as my trip to Curacao.

I have been planning my train routes for days, and almost everyday something changes. I have friends who will also be going to Curacao on the same day, but they live in Belgium. We are trying to see whether there is a train where we can meet up with each other. Honestly, that is what stresses me out the most. Trying to see which train stops where and at what time, and if it one of the trains that I can also take. Today, especially, it was crazy. My friend was super worried that I would miss the train, because she has experienced it all before. When stepping from one train to another in Germany, it can be pretty hard if you have no knowledge of the German language. Luckily, the terminal where my train stops is the one I have to stay at to catch the next one. But! I kept checking to see if everything was well planned, and I remember reading the message from my friend saying that the train we are taking doesn't permit international train tickets. So I had to jump back into research mode, and try to figure out how in the world I was going to fix that problem. I went on websites of Holland, Germany and Belgium, and of those three only Belgium gave the option of buying the ticket online, but only if I buy the ticket from Aachen to the airport. This means that I will need to buy one ticket to go from Heerlen to Aachen, and another completely different ticket to go from Aachen to the airport. It doesn't sound like a challenge, but when you sit for days, almost every night, looking at and comparing the trains and the hours and the stops, you get pretty exhausted. I have so many papers next to my laptop with all the routes, and stops and times written on them. I know that I will be checking everyday just to make sure nothing changes, and writing everything down again if I have to. I'm the type of person that can't relax until everything is planned out completely with plan A's, B's and C's. And because this is the first time I have to handle everything on my own, it adds to the pressure to get it all right. I never thought that I would have to do so much just to get to an airport. My initial plan was to have my uncle bring me, but his partner has a job near Groningen around the time I leave (and the car belongs to him and he will obviously need it). Thankfully, I asked them early, and this gave me enough time to find all the info that I needed. One thing I can say, though, is that it is extremely important to get all your info in time and research the trains and the stops, because if I hadn't looked closely at the train I have to take to the airport, and the fact that the ticket is different, I probably would have wasted money and gotten a fine the day of.

So, my lovelies, all I have to say is do your research, and ask someone who has done it before to help you out. Trust me, you will thank yourself once the day arrives. It will drive you crazy for days on end, and you will have realizations in the middle of the night that you didn't check something, or that you forgot to make a back-up plan for your plan B, or whatever crosses the mind. At this point, I just can't wait to have it all over with. I probably won't be relaxed until I get my butt on the plane.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't a short blog post, but I had to get it out there. It has been on my mind for a few weeks now to write about it, and I finally had to chance to sit down and put it out there for you to read. I hope that this helps someone who is also going through the same thing. I know I'm not the only one who stresses out and makes an abundant amount of schedules. But, okay, I am going to stop here and say "till next time", cuz I gotta get up and eat something! Haha!

See you later, guys! Remember to always be yourself, and stand for what you believe in!
Lots of love,
Nini

No comments:

Post a Comment