Monday, November 11, 2013

Just another day in Holland

Hello my darlings!

As you all know, I recently moved to Holland. It has been a journey. I am living here for about 3 months, and I have to say I have learned a lot. More than I have in the past 3 years in my hometown of Curacao. Yep, that's right. I'm from Curacao, a tiny island right along the border of Venezuela, and next to Aruba. Everyone knows Aruba, right? Well, my life here in Holland is nothing compared to that in Curacao. I have discovered that it is incredibly hard to get a job. In Curacao, it is well known for people to get jobs "via via". What I mean by that is that one way or another, with the help of family or friends, you get a job somewhere. But in Holland, holy crap! Before I can tell you about this endless job hunt, I have to tell my story first.

I am 24 years old. Now, whenever people hear my age, they automatically assume that I finished my school and have a degree and that everything is perfect and no problems. But, sadly enough, it is not so. After high school I attended the University of the Netherlands Antilles. I did Social Work for a year, but due to certain incidents I had to drop out. It was a good study, but knowing the economy of Curacao, and the future I would have as a social worker, it wouldn't be worth it. Unfortunately, a social worker in Curacao isn't valued as much as it should be. I would have a crappy job, with a crappy paycheck every month, and I would barely be able to live off of it. So, I changed study. I went onto doing something completely different, and I'm not going to lie, I wish I had been smarter about my choice. I went on to study Fiscal Law and Economics. I know, I know. Wth is wrong with you? It is definitely a huge change, and the two courses have nothing in common. Mainly, the reason why I chose for this study, was because there was a guaranteed job with good pay at the end of it. This went to my head, and instead of understanding after the first year that it wasn't going to end well, I went on and ended up throwing 3 years of my life away with it. I feel horrible just mentioning it. Do you know what that means? Three years of Fiscal Law and Economics, plus the one year of Social Work. I'm sitting here just sighing, and shaking my head. Stupid me! Wouldn't you agree? Yes, stupid me! Now, let's get back to the Holland job hunt experience.

So, apparently in Holland it is required for anyone above the age of, oh, let's say 20, to have a degree. Or at least something of a degree. Now, here is where my problem comes in. I am 24, and I don't have a degree. I have discovered that for everything, literally everything, even working in a store selling shoes, you need to have a degree. What is so difficult about selling shoes, and clothing?! I did it in Curacao, and I didn't need a degree for that. Anyway, I was hopeful that a job agency would be able to help me. I thought wrong. I don't think I have ever felt so frustrated in my life! I went to at least 3 agencies. Each and every one of them said that they would either try to help me, or that they could do nothing for me. I got home so frustrated and pissed. I think I flipped out on my mom, or whoever. After days of walking into stores, and asking if they needed help, and passing by the agencies, even sitting through an entire info-session at a catering business, still nothing. I guess what I want to say is that Holland sucks when it comes to giving people jobs. I know it has only been 3 months, but there will come a day where I will lose my mind, and start telling everyone off. What a bunch of poop. Just thinking about it makes me want to jump on a plane and leave everything behind. Whoever said Holland was the land of opportunity, obviously wasn't 24 and jobless. Oh well, it happens. Life is a bitch. We all come to face these kinds of issues sometime in our lives. I guess that is why we should enjoy the good days, where we don't have to think about school, or jobs, or people telling you negative things. The world is a beautiful place, with its dark corners here and there. I guess what I'm trying to say it, no matter how ugly the days, remember that the sun shines no matter what. The clouds may cover it, but it is always there, always shining.

Smile with love in your heart, and peace in your mind
Nini

P.S., I would like to remind my readers that these are my experiences. It may not happen to you. Stay positive, and good things will come (eventually). Don;t dwell on the days when everything feels like it's crashing down on you. Just hold on tight, and enjoy the ride. There will be bumps and little obstacles, but at the end it will all have been worth it/

No comments:

Post a Comment